Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Healthy Eating Habits: Start Small

Teach Your Children Good Eating Habits When They Are Young

The biggest health problem threatening our children today is obesity. How can you help your child defend themselves in the fight against this nationwide epidemic? Instill healthy eating habits when they are young, this is the most powerful weapon you can give to your children.

It was not until I had children of my own that I could fully reflect back on the kind of eating habits I was taught as a child. I owe my mother a thunderous applause for starting me off right. She provided me with an example and set of habits that centered around a healthy lifestyle. Those habits that I adopted when I was young are still part of my adult lifestyle. Fortunately for me, I have a leg up on being healthy thanks to those good eating habits. It is simple for you to do the same for your own children, as long as you are committed to living a healthy lifestyle yourself.

The first thing we must accept as parents is the obvious effect our culture has on our population's eating habits. Soda, fast food, candy and chips are part of modern culture and diet, whether we like it or not. Unless you plan to raise your children in a exclusive cave, they will most likely be introduced to these foods at a young age. While you cannot prevent your children from consuming junk food, you can teach them how to make good choices about food. Teaching children how to make good food choices at home, will guide them when they are not directly under your guidance (WebMD)1. In fact, making healthy food choices may become second nature, and while they may enjoy the occasional pizza outing with friends, your children will hopefully grow up automatically making good food choices.

1 comment:

KrishaLiva said...

I am agreed that obesity is one of the biggest health problem that threatening not only children but also parents. This post really gives insight to all parents there about the importance of healthy eating habits.
Krisha
pediatric emr