Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Visit to Dan Burton's office (Indiana's 5th district)

I visited Dan Burton's office yesterday. He was not in town because there were no votes for the day but I was able to visit with his Legislative Assistant Mary Valentino. This was at least the third time I have visited with her and I was encouraged to realize that she remembered my last visit and what I had talked about with her. My first trip to his office was about 6 years ago and what I remember about that trip was that I got the feeling that the staff person was not at all interested in my visit. I can't say that about Mary. She was interested in what I had to say. She didn't seem as if she agreed with all of it but at least she was interested and seemed to understand what I had to say. The piece that she found to be most interesting was the chart that shows the different regulations for the different types of child care in Indiana. You can find that char here http://www.childcareanswers.com/facilityregulations.html. This was the first time I had taken that document with me and I am glad that I did. I am hopeful that Representative Burton will consider becoming a co-sponsor for the new bill that Representative Carson has put forth to require Comprehensive back ground checks for all child care providers who accept the CCDF vouchers dollars.

No comments: