Friday, December 5, 2008

Data Manager's Minute


My role at Child Care Answers is an exciting one for me! When I first came on board in April, Mindy asked me if I knew anything about web pages. I have an Associate of Science Degree from Ivy Tech in Information Technology, with my focus on programming. The only reason I went into programming was because they didn't offer a Database track when I was there. So I took a lot of data management classes, then went to IUPUI and took an HTML web design class. That is the extent of my web design experience. I had NEVER done a "real" web page, and I told Mindy as much. She asked me to look at our website and make suggestions and see what I could do. So with my limited experience I set to work revamping our page. I think it turned out pretty well. You can look at it here and let me know what you think! As my role continues to grow more into the blogosphere I found myself somewhat perplexed - I am 40, not exactly a digital "native" but I have had a computer of one type or another since I was 10. I worked in DOS for several years and Windows from its inception. Blogging and "social networking" was foreign to me, as it had never piqued my interests. Recently, we have come to understand that a focused digital presence will open up our services to a whole new audience, one that is comprised mainly of "digital natives" who thrive on social networking and get most of their information from the Internet. My hope with this blog is that our audience will get to know us all better, to understand what we do, why we do it, and for whom we are doing it. Are we going to fall down along the way? Yes. But we will pick ourselves up off the virtual floor, dust ourselves off and keep going.


Thanks for your interest in our blog - let us know how we are doing every once in a while, will ya?

No comments: